Mental Health and Psychosocial Counselor
BRAC is one of the world’s largest development organisation having extensive development programmes globally. BRAC’s vision is a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. We use an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments, and a university.
We are a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and were ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last five years consecutively by NGO Advisor. We operate in 14countries across Asia and Africa.
BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania and C-Sema have joined hands to collectively address Early Childhood Development (ECD) issues in Tanzania through rigorous and innovative approaches; problem-based solutions; and outreach programs targeting children with a focus on establishing a National ECD Child Helpline (ECD call centre) to support nurturing care of children aged 0-8 years and parents of all children, prioritizing those at risk and extremely marginalized.
The ECD call centre will inform communities and caregivers to ensure children’s good health and nutrition, and protect them from threats. It will also give young children opportunities for early learning, through interactions that are responsive and emotionally supportive as well as supporting caregivers’ mental health and well-being.
In ensuring the smooth execution of this project, BRAC Maendeleo Tanzania is seeking applications from competent, dynamic, and self-motivated individual to fill the jobs vacancies below….
Vacancy title: Mental Health and Psychosocial Counselor
- Respond to incoming/inbound calls and provide the needed services
- Send the required information to the stakeholders through outbound SMS services
- Responsible for resolution of inbound/outbound calls as per the workflow
- Responsible for validation of records & registration of beneficiaries
- Assist in resolution of queries
- Establish good working relations with the project team, government, and stakeholders at districts and regional level
- Link with responders in local authorities at district and regional level to enhance referral mechanism of cases
- Link parents and children with available services surrounding them
- Adhere to high ethical safeguarding standards and comply with all regulations
- Promote and abide by internal policies and procedures including child protection policy
- Develop and submit all reports to the supervisor
- Document well project success stories/case study/best practices/lesson learned and submit to supervisor
- Offering guidance and counseling to parents.
- Assessing clients and identifying their problems.
- Engaging in discussions with clients and making them feel comfortable.
- Implementing individualized treatment programs/or refer cases to service providers
- Evaluating clients responses to treatment over time
- Organizing a long-term counseling plan by referring cases to service providers
- Offering services to all age groups.
- Offering both one-on-one and group counseling.
- Keeping a detailed account of the client’s mental health history.
- Being patient and building relationships based on trust.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Counselling/ Psychology. Postgraduate or master’s degrees as an added advantage.
- Valid license in Counselling Psychology.
- Good observational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven experience as a counselor
- Thorough understanding of human physiology
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Empathy and sensitivity when dealing with clients.
- Highly analytical mindset.
- Good diagnostic and problem-solving skills.