Outgrowers Support Program Manager (Foresters) – Two posts
KVTC is currently recruiting candidates to fill the four vacant positions in our Forest Department. Below please find a detailed job advert
The Kilombero Valley Teak Company Ltd. (KVTC) is a forestry company located in the Kilombero and Ulanga Districts of the Morogoro Region. The Company manages teak plantations and natural woodlands and processes timber in a factory located at Mavimba in the Ulanga District.
KVTC maintains an extensive Outgrowers program and is looking for the capable foresters that can undertake management, supervision and monitoring of Outgrowers’ plots. Ensure that Outgrowers have the necessary skills, resources, and motivation to work effectively. Establish systems and processes for tracking activities, budgets, stocks, distributions, etc. Monitoring and reporting: Monitor project activities and impact (economic, social, and environmental).
The OSP Manager will spend a large amount of his/her time in the Outgrowers’ fields and is responsible for soil testing, plus site selection, chemical applications, growth monitoring, thinning control and pruning regimes including cleaning of the plots.
This is not a desk or office function although some degree of office work will be required.
- Applicants must have a tertiary qualification in the field of forestry or agriculture and between 3-8 years working experience.
- Experience working in and with rural communities will be an advantage
- Experience working with teak will be an advantage
- Experience with forest certification systems such as FSC or TLTV will be an advantage
- The applicant must have a passion for forestry and the environment
- The applicant must have a driving license and be proficient in driving a motorcycle
- The applicant must be fluent in English, reading and writing.
- For the OSP Manager must have an understanding of statistics and the proven ability to collect, compile and analyse Outgrowers’ data and present in report format for management is a necessity.
- Must have the ability to learn quick and work with modern equipment for example GPS and calliper.
- The applicant must have basic computer literacy (MS Office).
This position entails extensive field work in remote areas with abundant wildlife. Only applicants willing to work under the demanding conditions normal to this type of environment should apply.